100% renewable -- almost a 100% failure in Texas

That’s pretty specious logic there. Does that mean that say a reduction but not total elimination of abortion via abstinence education defeats the purpose…

I don’t know what price.

My solar professional plotted our monthly usage, monthly average over/under, used the prices our utility company charges and pays for energy, and charted it out to 20 years. All our costs are paid back and after that, profit!

That’s how it’s done. They have software that charts it all out.

Oh, and we’re planning to stay here at least 20 years, God willing.

It’s not just the lack of charging stations. It’s the time needed to get a new charge. 30 minutes ever 4 hours. Not to mention what will happen when Tesla decides to start having people pay the actual cost of A) building the charging stations and B) the cost of the electricity.

Until you get to the point that an electric car is like a combustion engin (same range, and same time to refill the tank and be on the way), it is a pipe dream. And the time it will take to get that (range between fill ups and time it takes to recharge the batteries) is a long way out at this point.

How much free-market do they have in Germany? All three you listed are not in the United States where we have a free market economy.

RELIABLE alternative to the combustion engine? How is an electric car not reliable? I’ve owned a Chevy Volt for 4 years, I drive approx. 50 miles per day, never had the car in the shop for anything other than maintenance. Last time I put gas in the car was on Oct. 13, 2018 and that was only because I drove across state. My electric bill has gone up about $15 a month. Never heard an electric/hybrid owner complain about reliability.

How many miles can you drive before you have to stop to recharge? If you were to have a need to drive across country would you have to plan out your trip base on where the charging stations are? What would you plan for the stops where you have to spend minimum 30 minutes to re-charge the batteries?

@BlueHeron,

You post has me attributed to saying that about reliability. That wasn’t me. It was Snow.

I’m all in on alternative energy!

Seriously?

Hertz Rent a Car.

This is not difficult.

There is nothing wrong with having options.

I’m going to guess by your comment that you are either an east coaster or big city Californian where you never have to drive very distance wise to get to what you need g because the population density means there is a huge amount of options for you. People are often shocked when they visit states like Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and others where you can literally sometimes have to drive 100 miles on a major highway / freeway to find the next gas station let alone a charging station which may be even further.

I’m not opposed to electric cars, I hope we reach a day where they are a viable option for everyone but that day isn’t here for many of us who live in the less populated regions of the country. I happen to live in a metro area in a western state that is about 80,000 people (four cities combined population) and the biggest 200 miles any direction. We have two charging stations and they are the only two in that 200 miles and they are only available certain hours of the day.

Yes seroiusly. How much of a free market do they have in those cities in Germany compared to the United States?

Will we be comparing apples to apples or apples to mango’s?

I don’t understand the argument abour driving cross country. The vast majority of Americans use their cars within a 100 mile radius on a daily basis. I don’t know anyone who has driven cross country in the past ten years, not one person.

Sooooooo you buy a new car with the intention of spending more money to rent another car and pay for the gasoline to go in them.

Sounds smart to me :smiley:

If everyone waits until renewables work perfectly with no assist from non-renewables, we’ll either a) never switch to renewables or b) it will be too late when we do.

With every new technology or product, there is a time when it doesn’t work perfectly but yet works well enough that pioneer innovators/first adopters purchase and use the product.

This is so well known it’s well-defined and taught in business schools everywhere.

https://web.stanford.edu/class/ee353/product%20lifecycle.htm

All you’re telling us is you will be an early majority/late majority user.

And that’s fine…but to expect that everyone should be like you is ridiculous and counter-productive.

It would assure nothing would ever get done.

I’m flyover Midwest.

How does take away that anyone can rent a car to travel across the country.

I know several. I have a coworker with 5 kids. He and his wife wanted to take a vacation back east to see Washington DC, New York City, Philadelphia, etc. They considered the costs of flying for seven and the hassle of a rental car and decided to drive instead, especially since driving allowed them to hit Mt Rushmore, the mormon temple in Missouri (they are mormon and seeing the first mormon temple was a big deal to them), and other sights in between. They did it all in 2 weeks.

Doesn’t have to be cross country. Say from California go Grand Canyon. Or say from New York to something in Kentucky.

I was mearly using cross country as an extreme example.

anything outside the 200 to 300 miles range of an electric car becomes troublesome. Further you go, the more troublesome it becomes.

Germany is basically as much of a free market economy as we are.

Farm subsidies, anyone?

Snow. This may be news to you, but lots of people rent cars for driving long distances. I have done it. There are so many benefits to doing that.

“Ha ha! Look at that dang horseless carriage stuck in the mud! Why would anyone go away from a cheap reliable horse and buggy for one of those contraptions where you can’t go more than 5 miles outside the cities because there’s no roads. Those fools!”