100% renewable -- almost a 100% failure in Texas

This is something Republicans did – especially one in particular.

Hey can I make that Clear to you all – This is about what a Republican did. But it’s also about a cause that the left is all about.

Georgetown Texas in 2012 decided they would make their electric system 100% renewable energy. Endered into long term contracts for solar and wind energy. Conttracting for more than what the city would need so at times they could sell the excess on the open market and ~gasp~ purchase NON renewable energy from the open market when they fell short.

City leaders had to lock in a large excess of wind and solar power to be able to lend credibility to their 100 percent renewable claim, since wind and solar power can’t be relied on to keep the lights on 24/7/365. And, even with that surplus, there are times when Georgetown draws traditional fossil fuel power from the Texas grid, making the city’s “100 percent renewable” claim nothing more than spurious sloganeering.

But wait, this failed experiment gets even better!

Georgetown’s electric costs were $3.5 million over budget in 2015, ballooning to $6.3 million in 2016, the same year the mayor locked his municipal utility into 20- and 25-year wind and solar energy contracts to make good on his 100 percent renewable pledge.

By 2017, the mayor’s green gamble was undercut by the cheap natural gas prices brought about by the revolution in high-tech fracking. Power that year cost the city’s budget $9.5 million more than expected, rising to $10.5 million last year, according to budget documents reported by The Williamson County Sun.

That results in Citizens of the city paying over 1,000 more for electric than they would if the city had just remained on the Normal system of buying off the open market.

This is why I keep saying over and over and over again, we NEED Natural Gas and Coal fired plants until such time as there is a reliable . . . . again I will stress a reliable 24/7 green alternative.

Just like with Car’s and Trucks. Until there is a RELIABLE alternative to the combustion engine, electric cars are just a pipe dream.

Ah and in case you missed it at the first I’ll say it again. This utter failure was due to some Republicans.

Natural gas yes.

Coal no.

Allan

As a nitpick, residents pay about on par of what someone like myself would pay getting a 12mo contract in Centerpoint. The calculation this article is coming up with is via the lower than expected price the city is selling their excess energy at.

Your ignoring the failure of the premise of 100% renewable . . . and basically since it was announced and put in place the city STILL had to buy carbon based electricity on the open market.

My understanding is that at this point, 100% renewable means a combination of over- production and selling back to the grid at peak times, and pulling from the grid at other times for a net production about equal to use.

At this point, no one is talking about getting rid of natural gas electrity production.

One town fails and now the entire premise is a failure?

Then they need a new name. If your 100% renewable, then you shouldn’t be pulling any power for any source other than renewables at any time.

This experiment was a failre in that, and that the cost was way more than expected and now they are trying to re-work contracts.

If the Texas Legislature does make it so people in the city can choose a different source, the city will really be screwed. I don’t think the majority of the people in the town with stick with a more expensive power.

Any other town that have been on a 100% renewable plan as of yet?

I know there are some that have passed resolutions/law saying they will be years out. This is the only city I’m aware of that has tried it as of yet.

Where I live they certainly aren’t a pipe dream. People are buying Tesla’s as fast as they can. We’ve got charging stations in every shopping center parking lot - even smallish strip centers, like where my grocery store is. A lot of people I know put in special electrical systems in their garages, too.

Imo, it won’t be too long until we all are driving electric cars.

Fine and dandy around the area. But what happens if one of those Tesla owners wants to drive cross country? Or say – go to the Grand Canyon on Vacatoin? Or how about Jellystone Park? Is that Tesla a viable option then?

There is nothing wrong with having the “grid” as a backup. It’s a 2 way street, the energy flows both ways.

We have solar panels, they are sized to produce as much electricity as we use each year. There are times we are selling excess to the grid, and times we are pulling from the grid.

I don’t understand the obsession with insisting renewables be free-standing.

Hertz Rent a Car.

Car rentals are cheap.

And you’re argument is like saying that if you own a Tesla, you can’t also own a Dodge Caravan. We can do both.

To me still defeats the purpose.

Now for a second question. The energy you sell back to the eletric company when you overproduce – do you get a whosale or retail price?

There will be more charging stations as electric cars become the norm.

Just like gas stations multiplied and multiplied as more people bought cars after they were mass produced.

Time doesn’t stand still and neither does technology.

We aren’t even capable of imagining what new technologies will be developed that will change our lives in only a few short decades.

30 years ago did you think we would all be running around with a phone that is a computer that fits in your pocket?

I’m able to change the thermostat setting in my house when I’m half way around the world.

I don’t need to put the check in the mail anymore or even get a bill delivered by mail. I can do both on my phone.

An app on my cousin’s 13 yr old Apple Watch tells him when he needs insulin now.

Did any of us who are in our 60’s or older now, imagine when we were in college, someday we would be having conversations with people all over the country and the world from the comfort of home, like we do every day on this very message board?

Again, defets the purpose if your going to have a combustion engin car as a backkup for other uses. should Electric be reliaable to get you anyplace you need to go?

Of course they did, the infrastructure isn’t there yet for non-stop renewables until storage capabilities are in place. They sell to the grid when they have excess energy and pull from the grid when their demand exceeds current renewable generation. This isn’t a surprise to anyone who understands the industry.

I imagine similar things were said about cars 100 years ago. Can’t drive across the country unless there’s infrastructure in place to refuel the car.

Amazing how we overcame that, but somehow the idea of something similar with electric cars is a pipe dream. :thinking:

Yes Berlin, Munich, Hamburg. Need to give it a while as they just started though.

No, it doesn’t defeat the purpose of anything. That’s like saying if you use an electric lawnmower, that you can’t then use a gas chain saw.

Neither choice negates the other.

I ride my bike to work sometimes, because I can’t easily ride it across the country does that make it irrelevant?

Cons really sound like the people from the horse and buggy industry screaming about how cars could never ever work.